Sunday, September 19, 2010

un-intentional avoidance ????

So, I'm noticing a pattern from people. I know that this pattern is usually unintentional for the most part but nonetheless bothersome to me. I have noticed that people who want to know how my father is doing ask me - when he is sitting right in front of them or beside them. I know that it is an awkward situation when you ask someone how they are and the actually tell you. Most people deal with that question by saying 'alright' or 'could be better' or 'great' then they want to know how great you are... but when people are struck with a negative answer it is hard to conceptualize and hard for them to deal with- However, it is the person you are asking about that should be ask...

I don't mean to be ranting about this BUT... I can't imagine how dad feels when people don't look at him in the eye or avoid talking to him like they used to and come to ask me the question... So how is your dad doing? My answer today was "he's sitting right there, you should ask him", I watched as the person reluctantly walked over to him. In my head I was thinking - "i hope that dad didn't hear him ask me or feel invisible' because that is how I would feel if I was him. Invisible.

Dad isn't invisible, he is not unable to have a conversation... So, for those of you who are having a hard time approaching him - Please do so. He likes to talk with his friends, family and would love it. That's just my observation that I have been seeing lately.

No comments:

Post a Comment